This week in my studio, I decided to give my red clay body another chance. Throwing small vessels with this body proved difficult because of its plasticity. I then hypothesized that maybe if I used a larger amount to throw with, it would be easier to handle, and this was correct. I threw three bowls that were the biggest I have ever thrown, and my goal is to be able to throw with 10 pounds by the end of the semester. I really enjoyed the forms that I was able to create.
I also decided that to throw these large bowls, a batt was just not going to cut it. In the past when I have used one to throw a lot of clay, it ended up coming off when I attempted to center. My solution was to take the pins off of my wheel head and just throw directly on it, and the change was very helpful. I decided to keep the pins and wing nuts in a mug that Charlie left behind for whoever wanted to take it, for good luck with my new passion of throwing Giant Things.