Monday, October 19, 2020

Finally Throwing Again

    Last week, I did a lot of painting on the pots I threw back at the beginning of March right before the pandemic lockdown. This allowed me to think more critically about how to get my pieces done in less time than usual, which I believe I wrote about in my last post. I am still keeping up with my details and patterns, and have some new floral motifs in my sketchbook to try out as well. 
    Another suggestion from my critique was to use white clay, which I got some of from Mudworks this past Friday. I am trying out a clay called Little Loafers and I am absolutely in love with it- there is less grog than the clay I was using before, it feels like porcelain but is not as short as porcelain, and also does not have as high of a shrinkage as a porcelain I used to use- 14% !
    Yesterday I woke up and went right to my studio to throw with this new clay, and practiced making forms that were the same size and shape by measuring with a wooden rib. I threw 8 pieces in total and they are not as even as my goals, but they are much closer than I have been in the past. 







No comments:

Post a Comment