Saturday, April 4, 2020

Studio Shutdown

April 4, 2020



Over the past few weeks, I have been struggling with the anxiety of not having a studio to work with clay. Ceramics is the medium for me that relieves all of my stress and keeps my depression at a manageable level, and without it, I have been feeling my mood deteriorate. Although I have been using other media, I have realized that I have a higher emotional need for clay than I do for other materials. In order to relieve some of this stress, I was able to get a kickwheel from a friend- Larry Beisler, whose wife, Sandy,  I worked very closely with at the Arts Council of Southern Indiana when I was in high school. When I went to pick up the wheel with my dad, Sandy had me come inside and showed me her collection of ceramic bowls- one even made by my friend Ollie Reed, who was a post baccalaureate student the year I started doing ceramics.
In the week since I got this wheel, my dad helped me to build it, I ordered some Speckled Turtle from Mudworks, and got some sketches together for what new imagery I want to put on my pots. I have also been using colored pencil to plan out some lithographs I plan to make in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment